Friday, October 17, 2014

That's NOT the way my momma does it!

We all live in a bubble to some degree.  I tend to think the way I raise my child is brilliant.  However, you likely also think the way you parent is brilliant.  How can we both we right?  This week I have given this a lot of thought in regard to parental involvement at school.  As teachers we tend to want parent to be involved if they agree with us or back us up.  Otherwise, "we got this."   Of course, with my own child I want to have answers and grades posted.  Essentially, I want to be involved in the way I see fit.   Honestly we should not want something different for another child than what we want for our own.

The biggest lesson I learned in this regard was when a parent basically told me "you will not reach my child with your current method."  Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!  Of course, after I put my feathers back in place I realized, um, maybe just maybe she knows her kid better than I.  I stepped back and realized my way was not the best and although her involvement was not initially what I wanted--she was right.  When I approached her child differently I had success.  

We, as educators, could benefit from remembering that parents want the best for their kids.  They may go about it differently than you but that does not make it wrong.  Their not returning calls does not automatically mean they are being unsupportive or that the situation went not discussed at home.  It simply might mean they forgot or their schedule is not conductive to a phone call during school hours.  Regardless, teachers need to continually give parents the opportunity to be involved and informed.  This week, I challenge you to think how am I conveying my classroom to parents?  Ask yourself would I feel welcome if my child's teacher did this?  If the answer is no--then I encourage you to change your method.

Until next week....


1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh, challenges..... Very nice and insightful post. As educators, we should definitely take a proactive approach to relflecting on our classroom environments.

    ReplyDelete