Friday, October 24, 2014

The ship is sailing away...Do YOU have it anchored?

As a former high school teacher, I thought anchor charts were cute little things that elementary school teachers created.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhh (insert sarcasm).  They certainly were not for upper grades.  However, this year Diva's teacher let's call her Ms. Moose uses them in her class.  When I asked what Diva has done in class she can tell me, in detail, what she is learning. She can not only tell me but can apply it using examples.   As a mom, I was thrilled.  As an educator, I was curious.  What changed from first to second grade that prompted her to retain her learning.  So I asked her to show me how Ms. Moose taught.  Diva said she writes on this big paper and we can look at it when we have work to do or test.  It appears this magic big paper is an anchor chart.  Needless to say I was sold!

If the purpose of an anchor chart is to guide student learning why do we normally stop doing them in secondary classrooms?   Creating those charts helps struggling students, ESL students and those students who just learn best seeing the content.   Anchor charts are more than cutesy pictures.  There are so many excellent ways to utilize the strategy and still be grade level appropriate.  Below is a link for some great ways and example to begin using anchor charts in your room.  Enjoy.

Click Here for Great Anchor Chart Ideas.

Until Next Week...Anchors Away


No comments:

Post a Comment