Friday, August 22, 2014

How important is a well rounded mind?

The phrase "well rounded" is tossed around a lot these days.  But is it really important?  I certainly think so.
I love history!  I loved taking the classes in college and I loved teaching social studies.  I truly feel that fostering the importance of thinking and understanding the world around you is a privledged task.  Those skills do not come naturally but must be learned and practiced over time.    A person's knowledge of current events should not come from weekly magazines at the check out line!   However, how often do our students hear adults discussing the world around them?  More to the point, how often are our students asked about current events?    It is important to me that Diva hears Frito and I discussing issues.   We often ask her what she thinks.  Explaining rebel groups to an 8 year old is a toughie but she can understand the concept of rebelling against her parents so on some level she "gets it."  I challenge you this year to see what you can bring to your classroom (not just those social studies classrooms) that encourages your kids to think,form opinions, and learn the art of respectfully disagreeing with a person.  If these characteristics are not learned now how will our future levels ever embody them?

Have a fabulous first week of school!

The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows. ~Sydney J. Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment