Thursday, August 7, 2014

The teachers are coming! The teachers are coming!

Next week is new teachers week at our district.  I can still remember walking into the cafeteria where the training was held.  I was scared (rightly so) and completely overwhelmed.   I knew nothing! I had no student teaching experience and zero idea what challenge that first year held for me.  I look back and just cringe at the choices I made and know I would never do that now.  I was eager to learn and open to correcting my many many areas of improvement.  Thank goodness for those helpers around campus that first year.

If I were to give myself advice on that day- it would be run!!!  No, honestly, it would be relax and prepare.  Enjoy this experience.  Things will go wrong, lots and lots of things.  Some things will go right, maybe a few things.  You will adore those kids and get frustrated by them, cry and laugh with them.  You will see them grow and know you had some small part in that.

I would tell myself that you will stay in touch with some and hold their children and be a proud momma bear when they graduate from high school, college and graduate school.   Ultimately, I would tell myself to know that next year will be so much easier and if you are open to learn from your mistakes you will be so proud you survived your first year.  Now go countdown to Christmas break!

Until next week....
Kj

No comments:

Post a Comment