Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Get By With A Little Help From My Friends

Collaboration.  A word that is thrown around a lot in education these days.  It is expected that our classes effectively use collaboration among our students.  My question is-How often do we effectively use it ourselves?  Today, I called a friend (tech genius) to make sure I was correctly using an app.  We discussed the process and within two minutes I was now an "expert" on it.   It was a painless process.  I mean who doesn't like to chat with a friend?  
 We are educators it is in our nature to help.  So why not rely on those around you to bounce off ideas, classroom struggles and celebrate successes together.   In doing so, we will be able to better guide our students through true collaboration and understand its benefits. Beating your head against the wall is soooooooooooo 20th Century.  We have countless ways to connect with others near us or even across the world, to learn and work together to find solutions to our problems.  I challenge you the next time you are stuck on a problem.  Seek out a respectful co-worker, mentor or expert oceans away and learn from them.  Who knows, before you know it.  Someone might be seeking YOU out for advice for their issues..  

1 comment: