Monday, June 16, 2014

Wait, this is learning? I will stop!

My family and I are on vacation this week.  And our daughter, a seven year old diva, was pretty adamant to NOT learn anything during the trip to the horror of her teacher parents.  This got me thinking.  If our daughter; a kid who has opportunities and experiences at her fingertips, does not see the excitement of learning then are we naive to think children of poverty would be thrilled at learning new things?  

I think we, as educators, need to keep this in mind.  Kids are learning all day long.  They just don't realize it.  Our diva was playing a game called "Bad piggy." I watched her playing and saw her inventing ways to get this pig over hills and other obstacles. When she couldn't get it just right she consulted a book of ideas and revamped her inventions and tried again.  Finally, I said diva don't you know you are learning.  She was shocked and quickly put away the game!  ( okay I made that last part up)  She was also learning when my husband told us his research about Equador while watching the game during the World Cup.  Tomorrow, we will learn during our Eco- Dolphin Cruise.  And the only learning the diva was okay with will take place during turtle school.  None of these experiences took place in a classroom or in a desk nor did any of it utilize pen or paper.  But learning took place.  

All this to say- we really ought to put more effort into finding ways to engage students intrinsically to learn more about what they like.   If we step out of boxes about what is learning- maybe our children will follow.  


3 comments:

  1. I think this is where PBL really becomes important. I don't see a lot of teachers buying into it because 1.) it's forces them to give up "perceived" control 2.) they don't fully understand how to do it 3.) it can be a lot of work in the beginning. We must remember, that learning anything new can be a challenge. By nature, our bodies want to retain homeostasis. I'm no doctor, but I'd say that same principal applies to our minds. You are correct about socioeconomic status not mattering when it comes to natural learning. We are ALL humans first. Although it realize data desegregation, evaluating sub pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are important, I think it would help out to just view all children as just plain old kids first and establishing a relationship of mutual trust and respect. When we make them comfortable, they will start to learn without us pushing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree and feel technology gives us countless ways to explore the curiosity and interest of our students.

    ReplyDelete