Friday, June 27, 2014

Yeah, but how does this impact me?

Be honest- how many times a week (or in a day) do you say "remember that ____________ episode (Friends, Seinfeld, Everyone Loves Raymond, etc)" to your friends?  Ever say it in class? Well, I have have.   I am quickly reminded that those sweet children in your class- do not know Kramer, Rachel or Frank Barrone!   The point Is you MUST make learning meaningful for your students.  

I am at a conference this weekend and there are thousands of people there.   You can easily pick out THOSE people (elementary teachers) eager to sing in professional development.  While MY people (secondary) sit in the back sending off "these seats are taken" vibes.  And you can quickly assess if a session is too ___________ for me.  This doesn't pertain to my content or my school does it this way.  If we wish strangers to alter their professional development for our interest then is it really too much for us to do with our students?   I had created senerios about content using popular boy bands, tv shows and student names.  The students pay attention because it is "their" stuff and if they pay attention you have a win win!  Does it require time to update yearly?  Yes, but far less than reteaching an entire lesson.   The next time you are in front of your class staring at blank faces.....stop and don't utter "Did you ever see...." Instead take a second and find an example that brings true relevance for them to the content.  Our relevant examples are unnecessary.  You, after all, already understand the content.  

Until next week.... 
Kj




1 comment:

  1. I agree, teachers should connect topics and lessons to what interest students. Doing, so, engages students and motivates them to want to learn.

    ReplyDelete